Pages

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Duck Needs Help

Jonah wrote his first story today. Well, it's the first one that I know of.

He is constantly writing text and pictures on the big Magnadoodle that was meant for Levi last Christmas. He doodles a lot and is already a pretty good artist. But what struck me today was that this is a legitimate story. There is a protagonist, a conflict (plot), and conflict-resolution at the end. It may seem simple as I say it all, but I don't think I was writing stories at 6. The kid's got talent.

Peter and I were talking about our kids and how creative they are. We both feel pretty unimaginative. Yeah, we can make stuff and do stuff, but we are not the ones with the great ideas. We find those elsewhere.

I think the creative gene must have skipped a generation for us. All of our kids' grandparents are pretty creative, especially Peter's mom. Well, at least we get to experience our kids' creativity even if we have no original ideas. Without further ado, Duck Needs Help.

Duck Needs Help
By Jonah Shirley, as told to Peter Shirley

Duck has a problem. His nose is getting bigger and bigger.

He asks dog for help. Dog calls the firemen and the policemen. They come to help Duck.

The firemen fix Duck's nose.

Duck is happy that his nose is fixed and he thanks Dog for his help.

The End.

3 comments:

Vicki said...

If his pictures are as good as his story...he should just go ahead and look for a publisher!

Glenna said...

So cute!

BallerinaBiker said...

Wow! That's really good!