Pages

Friday, January 30, 2009

Flashback Friday

Thought I had given up on them, huh? Well, I have been too busy to blog lately (imagine that!) but I have a flashback for today. I have been trying for a while to scan or transcribe my mission journals and emails onto a hard drive to back them up. I really enjoy reading them because I inherited my mom's bad memory and can't remember a lot of little things about my mission. And thank goodness we were allowed to email and my family printed those off for me, because I was a very inconsistent journal keeper on my mission. Those emails have been the journal I would have kept.

Although a lot of little memories of my mission have inevitably fallen through the cracks, there are definitely some that stand out. Of course, I haven't forgotten everything, and this experience was hard to forget. It was even more memorable to me because I had only been in Russia for a week or less when this happened. Here is what I emailed home:

"The last couple of days have been wild. We had a really great first discussion with the deaf Ukrainians, Yelena and Tanya, and we were in a hurry because we were going to be late. So we grabbed a taxi (stuck out our hand) and a man stopped and we got in. He started talking to Sister Pope about our church, and then later, he said in Russian, “I don't like...” We couldn't hear the rest. Anyway, he flipped the car around really fast, like a U-turn, and it was really scary and unexpected. He stared to slowly go the other way, and Sister Pope told him to stop, and he said no. She told him again and he still said no. I got an impression that we should get out of the car. He was still going, but really slowly. I opened my door, and Sister Pope heard me do that, so she opened hers too, and we both got out and ran. We thought that he was going to turn around and come after us, but he didn't, thank goodness. It was scary. Then that night, our doorbell rang at 2:00 in the morning. Sister Pope woke me up, and we thought it might be one of our members who had been there that night and said that she wasn't going home that night (family trouble, I guess). But I knew it wasn't her. I don't think that Sister Pope would have opened the door anyway. But we decided not to open our door from 9:30 at night until we leave in the morning, unless it is the Elders. So that was kind of scary too. I have to go soon, but just some interesting things about this place: All of the ladies wear really short skirts and high heels. I swear, they're gonna regret it, because the roads here are sooo bad. Pot holes everywhere. It's a mess. And people still dress like they're going on a date or something."

Let's just say that it was an interesting first week in Russia. It did get less dramatic and action-packed.

Here we are with the cake Sister Pope made for my birthday. (These pictures are much later when I had been in Russia long enough to chub out on their yummy pastries and bread.)

12 comments:

Tibi said...

I remember when you wrote or emailed us that story when it happened. We were all scared! Haha

Camie said...

Hahahaha! I chubbed out on the mission too. Really bad! It was in my first area. I'll have to do a mission flashback of my chubby days to show you just how bad it was.

P.S. I don't mind about you having my picture on your blog. I actually appreciate it and get choked up everytime I think of all the love and support we have from you and others. Thanks for all you do! Love ya!!!!

Vicki said...

I still can't believe that I even made it through that experience! It's not the best email to be getting from your daughter who is living exactly opposite on the globe.

Lexie & Sharrid said...

awww, I wanted you to post a pic of you with your huge cream colored snow hat on! That thing is rad!

Jason & Claire said...

It's so neat to see pictures of and hear about your mission. I love your flashbacks.

I need your help with something. I'm trying to put Camie's adoption link on my blog like yours. I like how you have their picture on it. I can't figure out how you did that. Would you mind telling me? claireleavittscott@gmail.com

Angelfish said...

Thanks for the story - it brought back some fabulous memories! I was just looking at some pictures of members in one of my areas on facebook and I got SO homesick! Good times!

Karena said...

Your poor family! I would've been freaking out too after receiving and e-mail like that.

And I want to know how to put on a picture that goes to the link, too.

Connie said...

Just add a gadget in Customize, then upload your picture. Inside that box before you save it, there's a place to add a link. Just type it in there and save!

Kira said...

I'm hearing ya Camie- I chubbed out too. In my first area. I gained like 30 plus pounds within two months. Its the darn pastries and chocolate....or some evil plot against sister missionaries

Nicole said...

Holy Cow! That is a scary story! What a great flashback though. There is nothing like those mission experiences.

Michaela said...

Okay, I didn't read this post yet, but I had to leave a comment really quick about Jonah's latest quote. SO FUNNY. Haha. I can just picture him with his whiney little voice. Poor kid.

{leah} said...

Great flashback! {the cake looked great}

I have one that I should post... it involves a pictures from Cross country.